Re: IH/HP question

On Thu, 4 Apr 1996 lambert@HAL.HAHNEMANN.EDU wrote after others wrote:

> A RSO at a hospital must have 1 year work experience under the RSO at a
> hospital, and at a university with a broad scope license, the NRC has a
> subjective requirement which permits them to judge whether the proposed
> RSO has sufficent training and experience for the licensed activities.
> Therefore, these hiring decisions must meet regulatory muster as well as
> save money.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't 10 CFR 20..... say that a Nuclear
Medicine MD is considered qualified?  Take the VA for example.  Because
of their closed hiring practices, they will sometimes hire an RSO who is
not qualified, name them the ARSO,  put the license under a Nuc Med MD
as the RSO, then after a year the ARSO has the experience to become the
RSO.  Resulting, in many cases, with RSOs without much of an educational
background.  I would assume that this practice happens in other
hospitals/organizations as well.

What is there to stop this sort of abuse?  Tightening up
the regulations?  It seems to me you health physics people aren't playing
enough politics to save your jobs.  I mean, look how well ACR has done
for their physicists.

I think it all goes to the lower educational requirements.  I don't care
what kind of a genious you are or how much experience you have, you simply
CAN NOT, under MQSA, touch a mammo unit without ACR certification
which requires at least an MS Physics and completion of a residency
just to sit on the exam.  Radiology departments can't weasel out of it by
appointing a Radiologist to do the physics while some technologist gets
grandfathered into the position.  So for radiological physics, the
education is in the regulatory requirements, while under health physics
programs, having an educated health physicist is a luxury.

Regards,

Craig