Re[2]: HP Job Shortage - IH/HP question

     OPINION on the IH/HP questions

     As a professional HP (not a CHP but a chp (that means career health
     physicist)), I found (after working for 23 years in nuclear power and
     then after an amazing burnout period switching to IH at a DOE
     remediation site) that it was very very easy to learn and understand
     OSHA, RCRA and CERCLA requirements (the most difficult of course is
     the RCRA/CERCLA) than it was for me to instruct the IH's that I had
     working for me in the intricacies of the world of Health Physics.  (I
     never did get one of them to understand that the hazards of
     radioactive materials would diminish in time while the hazards of
     methyl-ethyl-bad stuff would be around for a long long time)

     At any rate, in answer to your question, I personally feel, and here
     is the opinion, that it is easier to start with an HP and make an IH
     than to go the other way around.  To those IH out there who are now
     HP's this is not meant to be demeaning.  I am glad that you made the
     transition.  The more cross trained professionals that we have the
     easier it will be to oversee the regulatory functions that we are all
     tasked with.

     Best regards,

     R. R. (Ron) Goodwin
     Ronald_Goodwin@health.ohio.gov