From: radsafe
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: HP Job Shortage - IH/HP question
Date: Thursday, April 04, 1996 11:45AM

As an educator interested in producing a professional with the greatest
flexibility in the present job market (or lack of it), would it be better
for to hire a health physicist and have them learn the IH side of the job
or to hire an IH who has to learn the HP side of the job?

>I would like to add another problem that I have observed in the past
>few years.  A hospital, a university or any institution in the industrial
>sector requires that a person fill the position of RSO, but there is also
>a need for a "safety" person to conduct all other safety operations.
>Thus, an Industrial Hygenist is hired, having very little knowledge of
>Health Physics. Later, the Industrial Hygenist is sent to attend one of
>many courses for Radiation Safety Officers, and there you have a
>brand new HP with little knowledge and zero experience.
>
>But the argument is that the company is "saving" thousands of
>dollars, but they are creating a great potential for liability and a
>definite risk to the health of maybe thousands of employees.

 ------
Nolan E. Hertel
Health Physics Program
George W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, GA 30332-0405
(404) 894-3717
facs:  (404) 894-3733