Re:: IH/HP question

     I've  been following the HP/IH "conversation" and would like
to put my 2 cents worth in, so please bear with me.

     Background:

     Some years ago, I received my MHP at a local university (San
Diego State).  While working in the university's (somewhat small)
Health  and Safety Office I found that, in addition to my  health
physics   duties,   I  was  performing  a  "LOT"  of   I.H.   and
environmental  safety-type work - picking up (an amazing  variety
of)    Haz.   wastes   and   categorizing   said   waste(s)   for
shipment/disposal  (at that time we could even "process" some  of
our own waste on-site), asbestos and PCB removal and remediation,
etc.etc...

     In my case, I felt pretty comfortable with my HP duties, but
felt  that I needed more information/education on all those weird
chemicals  and  their  bi-products, AND the  "plethora"  of  laws
governing  their  use, storage and disposal (needless to say  its
only  gotten  "worse" since then).  So, I started  taking  public
health  classes  at the same university.  That helped a LOT!   In
time, I ended up with a MPH.

     Now the meat of the discussion:

1.    Could I have acquired a MPH and then received a MHP??? (the
similarity  in  the two abbreviations causes even  me  problems).
The  answer  is "sure".  The MHP program at SDSU is "famous"  for
attracting   people   from   non-hard-science   backgrounds   and
"whipping" them into shape.

2.    Are  the  two disciplines  complementary.   DEFINITELY!!!!!
There  are  a  lot of congruent duties.  SDSU  even  allows  some
I.H./HP  classes to be substituted for each other in the graduate
MPH/MPH programs.

3.    Has  the  combination of the two master's  degrees  (and/or
experience  in  the two disciplines) made me more employable?   I
"think"  so.  The places I have worked since San Diego State have
indicated  that  their  decision to hire me (in  addition  to  my
"sterling"  personality)  was based, in part, on the  extra  work
they  felt  that  they  could  get out of me  due  to  my  "duel"
background.

4.    Is one (background) more employable than the other?  Maybe.
I am a member of, and attend both local association meetings, and
I do find that overall, the local industrial association has more
openings listed in their newsletters.

5.    What  occupation  do I list myself as?   I  still  consider
myself  to  be a health physicist.  That is my primary  job  duty
where I work now, and I enjoy going my job.

     In conclusion (such as it is):

     In the San Diego county area we have a lot of bio-tech firms
who  use radioisotopes.  I have seen that those firm's I.H.'s are
often  called  upon (by their employers) to try and  do  H.P-type
work  and  (being consciences workers) they often hire  either  a
part-time  H.P. - which they train to perform I.H work, or (grin)
ask  a  local Health Physicist to help with their  licensing  and
radioactive/laser operations.

     That's it - sorry about the length of this "tome".

     Joel Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil)
     NRaD
     San Diego, CA

     Std. Disclaimer:  The opinions above are my own.  Neither my
boss,  the  Navy nor the Federal Government have read or  endorse
the above material.