Re[5]: HP Job Shortage

     I completely agree with Glen Vickers on the why and how he expresses
     in his memo to radsafers on 4/5/96, with one exception.  I have a
     Bachelor's degree.  Got it in 1969.  At that time, I had no idea there
     was such a thing as Health Physics, so my degree is unrelated to that
     particular field.  Finding no work, except teaching, for a science
     related education, I went to work at a naval nuclear shipyard.  I was
     entered into the Radiation Protection Monitoring program (NAVSHIPS
     389-0288), and fell in LOVE with the field of health physics.  What a
     glorious profession I thought, at the onset.  Now, 27 years later, I
     find my work tedious, boring, and a complete dead end.  I burned out
     in 1991.  I was at the South Texas Project performing QA inspections,
     surveillances, and audits.  There was no where to go.  I had helped
     write the E-plan and procedures for TMI in 1979-1980 (no - run like
     hell had not worked and needed to be amplified to NEW governmental
     regulations, which now appear to be in jeapordy due to the government
     deciding that electricity should be a commodity like pig jowls to be
     sold at the lowest possible cost, but unlike tobacco no subsidy will
     be offered), I even designed a short term interim low level
     radioactive waste disposal facility for Waterford III (and I am not
     even a silver injunear).  Now, I have chosen to work for a state
     government, because after 49 years (and being a part of the Hell no I
     wont go generation) I have found out my father was right.  If you want
     to make changes you have to work from the inside.

     The point of this is, I am enquiring into a mail order degree from
     Regent's college, University of the State of New York, to supplement
     my Bachelor's degree.  I am applying 27 years of training and
     experience, including a 10 week applied health physics course from Oak
     Ridge Assoc. Univ., an HP Certification Review Course by Dr. Skrable,
     and a bunch-a other training and experience.  Why?  Because my Bureau
     Chief does not recognize my degree and my training as being equivalent
     to a Bachelor's in Health Physics.  SO, if I can by a degree, will
     that make me any more qualified?  Or is there anything else that
     someone can suggest?

     I am not going to enter my name or e-mail address to this because I do
     not know if my Bureau chief is a subscriber.  I am sure he can figure
     out who I am, but that is up to him. If you (the Radsafers out there)
     want to know who I am, just ask via Radsafe.  I will be happy to tell
     you exactly who I am and how I feel.