Re[2]: What does "lean" really mean

     I swore after yesterday that I would give everyone a break, but I had
     to offer my opinion one time on the staffing criteria.

     I hope that everyone understands this.

     In the 1950 and 1960 era, school kids got a helluva education
     (intended - Big Grin - I graduated High School 1964).  Today, my 7th
     grader and 5th grader (I graduated my high schooler in 1994 - today he
     is in the navy) bring home very difficult assignments, things that I
     probably did not get into until high school (my 7th grader had an
     assignment last night that delved into a development process on the
     periodic table) HOWEVER, the teachers are not explaining the work.
     Nor are the texts (usually a memeographed (?Sp -1) sheet of paper
     instead of a text book).  I have found in conferences with teachers
     and administrators (the current ratio appears to be about 5 teachers
     to each administrator, whereas the ratio in the 50's and 60's was
     about 17 teachers to each administrator - catch my drift?) that the
     Educational process is breaking down, because the I KNOW EVERYTHINGs
     have decided that teachers need to spend about 5 hours out of every
     school day completing paperwork to indicate how they completed the
     Educational Objectives in the two hours they could teach.

     It is the same problem that we face in our industry.  As we become
     "more technically competent" we have more and more paperwork to show
     how we did the things we were supposed to have done (OOOOOH tense
     shifts will get you an "F") if we were not filling out paperwork.

     Instead of RIFfing (Reduction in Force) our people and DOWNSIZING,
     lets look at what the overall problem is in getting work done.

     Bureauracracy,

     Let someone else do the work (This person we can downsize)

     Government "influence"

     Management (can managers manage or can they make busy work?)

     Good working relations

     Teamwork

     etc. etc. etc.

     I am finished now.  Best regards and I bid you peace

     (And I will try to keep mine)

     Ron Goodwin