Re[2]: off-site emergency drills

     Ron Goodwin wrote:

     Scenario writers have to meet objectives stated by FEMA and NRC.
     Scenario writers do not always want to meet these objectives but the
     180 day clock is something you can not argue with (The 180 day clock
     starts when a utility or state agency fails an exercise and must
     re-exercise within 180 days).

     Since not all emergency exercises have an off-site evacuation as an
     objective, i.e., the exercise objective might be to test the real-time
     activation, or an ingestion pathway, there are opportunities to have
     some realism injected.

     We once had an evaluated exercise where everyone expected that
     "something" was going to happen soon, for that is the way it always
     is. But to the surprise of everyone, nothing happened. NO releases
     above a few mrem/hr, a wind speed of approximately 5 mph and therefore
     no contamination from particulates, etc. You know what? The players
     were upset because they felt cheated. They weren't exercised. SO, it's
     not always the scenario writers and FEMA etc. who need to be blamed.
     The players themselves, who normally say that the time line is too
     compressed, are often the loudest individuals criticizing a "non"
     event exercise.

     Just a different perspective form one who believes that we need to
     test realistic situations, and, test the ridiculous occasionally,
     since there is still a small probability of a catastrophic event which
     "could" happen, and we need to be prepared, but NOT every year.

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics
     Florida Power and Light Company
     Nuclear Division
     Juno Beach, FL

     (407) 694-4219 Office
     (407) 694-3706 Fax

     sandy_perle@email.fpl.com

     homepage: http://www.lookup.com/homepages/54398/home.html

     DISCLAIMER: The comments and opinions are mine alone and do not
                 necessarily reflect those of my employer