OPINION on the Security Issue

This is solely my opinion.

I have heard that NRC Inspectors would utilize a procedure somewhat
like what Mr. Richard described prior to the advent of the NIH &
MIT Incidents.  That is, an inspector would walk up to a refrigerator
that was labeled in a lab, especially an empty lab but possibly one
with personnel working in it.  That after standing by the refrigerator
[or other labeled container] for a minute or two s/he would then open
the door.  If the door could be opened without challenge they considered
it proof that he or she could gain unauthorized access to licensed
material.

I have been told by at least one NRC Inspector that decisions on citations
are not theirs to make that they recommend but their managers decide.
I would presume most decisions wrt citations over security lead to cites
these days.

Security is a tough issue and the definition of "control" is subjective
since it isn't defined.

Peter G. Vernig, VA Medical Center vernig.peter@forum.va.gov