Re-usable Type 7A Containers

{Original Msg: 'Re-usable Type 7A containers.(non-cardboard)' from <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
{
{     Here at the University of Minnesota, we have to transport Rad materials
{to our Saint Paul campus on a daily basis. Prior to April 1st, we were able
{to seperate our materials so that each package was a Limited Quantity. This
{is not very practicle any more.
{     I know someone was looking for 7A containers here in the recent past,
{and was wondering if you had any luck. Any other suggestions would be
{apprediated.
{By the way: We are looking for something about the size of a playmate cooler.
{Thanks in advance,
{Matt
{
{Matthew Caya
{Sr EHS Tech
{UofM/RPD
{CAYAX001@MAROON.TC.UMN.EDU
{

Matthew,
I've been down this road a time or two.  You basically have two options,
I think.  The potentially cheapest and most straight forward, if it works,
would be to appoach Mallinkrodt or Syncor and ask them is they will either
sell you the continers that they use and provide the certification doc-
uments or provide the documents and refer you to the supplier that they buy
from.

Otherwise you need to contract to have what ever container you like tested
according to the 49 CFR Type 7A specs.  Call arround as prices may vary
widely.  I had it done twice for cardboard boxes and was charged a
ridiculously small amount, like $50/box by a company in Mountain
View California called "Testing and Controls".  I'd guess $500 is a more
likely figure and $1500 wouldn't surprize me.  I'll anticipate your
request, I do have a card from then with the phone 415-967-6982 and the
contact Richard Greeene, Chemist.  No guarantee either is still good.
Only reason to send to Calif for it is if they are still as ridicuolously
cheap.  Might check with State Rad Control Branch for companies that might
do the testing for you is you decide to go that route and T & C is either
not arround or not cheap anymore.

REgards,
Peter G. Vernig, VA Medical Center Denver, vernig.peter@forum.va.gov

VA Medical Center, 1055 Clermont St. MS 115 - DISCLAIMER
Denver, CO 80220; 303-399-8020 x2447 FAX 393-4656 Opinions = Mine
FAX 303-393-4656, vernig.peter@forum.va.gov Opinions =/ VA or USA