Instrument time averaging

Such instruments are and have been available, but one can't generally afford
them.  I know I've seen brochures from Canberra, Keithley, and some others
[Eberline and TechAssociates, maybe?].  Check with them.  I don't recall
where I saw it, but someone in the industry has been making telemetered
instruments that download directly to the PC for the integrated rates.

In effect, the old workhorse instruments do the time averaging already, or
the meter would never settle out.  If something better is needed, all one
has to do is pay for the electronics.  They're available.  I also recommend
a free publication called "Test and Measurement Instruments" which I think
has a web page one could search for.

V/R
George R. Cicotte
gcicotte@cbvcp.com

The above is with respect to Mr. Vest's posting:

>.. . .  a portable lead testing instrument  . . . readout was
>paint lead density (micrograms/cubic centimeter, or something like that),
>and it displayed a *range* of values.  The  . . . . the longer [the
operator] held it there, the >*narrower* that range got!  It made me wish we
had a radiation survey instrument that