Cesium availability in the U.S.A.

RadSafers,  I am sure that many of you are aware of the
ever-dwindling supply of domestic Cesium-137 and Sr-90 and the
supply/cost problems that arose when we started to rely upon
foreign production and supplies.  With that awareness in mind, I
am forwarding the following anouncement.  If you live/work in the
areas near these meetings, consider attending.

   The DOE will be holding open meetings concerning the Draft
Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the Hanford Site Tank
Waste Remediation System.  Included in this project is the
management or disposal of approximately 1,930 large radioactive
cesium and strontium source capsules currently on loan or stored
at Hanford.  These capsules will be disposed unless it can be
shown that these capsules have further beneficial use. The cesium
capsules (WESF) contain the only domestic feed stock supply of
Cesium. Currently, all large sources (more than 30
curies of Cs-137 or 1 curie of Strontium approximately) are
imported.  Disposal of this stock will guarantee that the U.S.A.
will never make large cesium sources again. [Editor's note -- it
will also guarantee even higher prices for those sources.]

The May 2, 1996 open meeting is from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm in the
Hawk Union Building, West Dining Room, Columbia Basin College,
2600 North 20th Avenue, Pascal, Washington.

The May 7, 1996 open meeting will be held in the Washington, DC
area.  It is from 6 to 9 pm in the Cavalier room of the Sheraton
National Hotel, 900 Orme Street (near Columbia Pike and
Washington Boulevard), Arlington, Virginia.

The May 9, 1996 open meeting is from 6 to 9 pm in the Multnomah
Room at the Red Lion Hotel, 1000 NE Multnomah Drive, Portland,
Oregon.

Comments are due by May 28, 1996 to Carolyn Haass, DOE TWRS EIS
NEPA Document Manager, Richland Operations, P.O. Box 1249,
Richland, Washington 99352. The information phone numbers I have
are: (1) Hanford Information Line (800) 321-2008 or (2) Carol
Borgstrom at (800) 472-2756 or (202) 586-4600.

Sincerely,

Bill Schadt
Radiation Technology, Inc.
P.O. Box 10457