Cesium availability in the U.S.A. -Reply

After having the "pleasure and priviledge" of a $45 million
facility cleanup in our state due to the "beneficial use" of
WESF Cs-137 capsules, the State of Georgia might wish to
provide comments on this subject. Is there an electronic
means to comment? (i.e. e-mail address, BBS, etc.) I'll call
the Hanford 800 number this morning to find out, but if
anyone has the FR notice handy, could you please fax it to
me?

Thanks.

Jim Hardeman, Manager
Environmental Radiation Program
Environmental Protection Division
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
4244 International Parkway, Suite 114
Atlanta, GA 30354
(404) 362-2675   fax: (404) 362-2653
Jim_Hardeman@mail.dnr.state.ga.us

>>> <schadt@interserv.com> 04/22/96 18:21 >>>

The DOE will be holding open meetings concerning the Draft
Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the Hanford Site
Tank  Waste Remediation System.  Included in this project
is the  management or disposal of approximately 1,930 large
radioactive  cesium and strontium source capsules currently
on loan or stored  at Hanford.  These capsules will be
disposed unless it can be  shown that these capsules have
further beneficial use. The cesium  capsules (WESF) contain
the only domestic feed stock supply of  Cesium. Currently,
all large sources (more than 30  curies of Cs-137 or 1 curie of
Strontium approximately) are  imported.  Disposal of this
stock will guarantee that the U.S.A.  will never make large
cesium sources again. [Editor's note -- it  will also guarantee
even higher prices for those sources.]

Comments are due by May 28, 1996 to Carolyn Haass, DOE
TWRS EIS  NEPA Document Manager, Richland Operations,
P.O. Box 1249,  Richland, Washington 99352. The
information phone numbers I have  are: (1) Hanford
Information Line (800) 321-2008 or (2) Carol  Borgstrom at
(800) 472-2756 or (202) 586-4600.