Re: ? RCM or RSO Pre-requisites

Greg,

You ask two very different questions.  The second being the easiest:
No, of course web pages can not suffice, in and of themselves, as
qualifying an individual as an HP.

Which leads into the answer for your first question:  An RSO for What?

As someone who has (or has overseen the process thereof) "qualified"
hundreds of RSOs, the answer is both simple and complex: The
candidate must have education, training, and experience commensurate
with the position.

But what is adequate for one facility is totally inadequate for
another.  A GC license doesn't require a whole lot of the RSO.  An R&D
Broad License is a totally different situation.  And the number of R&D
broad licenses is totally swamped by just about any other type of
license.

However, that all said, the web pages, BBSs, etc.... can be extremely
valuble tools for any RSO/HP.  Instead of falling back on one's own
limited backgroup, you can use the experience and knowledge of
thousands of individuals.  This is an extremely valuble resource.

Wes

> Date:          Tue, 23 Apr 96 01:50:09 -0500
> From:          gejones <gejones@slip.net>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       ? RCM or RSO Pre-requisites

> In this new found age where Web "facts" replace formalized
> education and training, I have a serious question.
>
> What level of Health Physics experience or education is
> considered reasonable of an RSO (Rad Safety Officer)
> or RCM (Rad Con Manager)?
>
> Although helpful for exchanging ideas, I'd like to think
> that subscriptions to listservers or browsing relevant
> web pages in no way serve to qualify one for these positions.

Wesley M. Dunn, C.H.P.                     512-834-6688
Deputy Director, Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us