Fires at Chernibyl

Wire story says that one or more of the abandoned cities in the "heavily
contaminated region" (by which I presume the 10 km region) is burning "out of
control" and releasing "radioactivity".

Anyone know anything more? -- please REPLY DIRECTLY (JMOULDER@ITS.MCW.EDU)
even if you also reply to the list, because I've got digest mode turned on and
media inquiries to deal with.

On the surface the story seems plausible.  There are abandoned cities/
villages, and they could still be contaminated.  A fire would lift some of
that contamination into the air.  A big fire could spread it quite a ways.

I think that the remaining contamination would be mostly cesium-137 (and some
134), strontium-90, and plutonium isotopes.