Re[2]: UKRAINE CHERNOBYL AFTERMATH NEWS ON INTERNET (fwd)

     In my opinion some of the claims about the effects of the incident are
     not being blown out of proportion. While some of the statistics might
     be questionable in it's formulation, the fact remains that many people
     have died and many more are suffering from all kinds of illnesses,
     many of which ultimately will lead to premature death. Attributable to
     Chernobyl? Why not? As far as posting warning signs, are they the same
     as our posting requirements? I don't know, but I would surmise that
     many of the areas around the plant do meet the 5 mrem in any one hour
     posting limitations, for posting as a radiation area.

     I didn't see Discovery or check out their web site. I have seen some
     recent shows on some of the network magazine productions. Many
     included physicians, from both the US and the Ukraine. I have to
     believe that they are not out on promoting their own agenda. I have to
     assume that the victims interviewed were telling about the serious and
     real problems they are suffering from, due to their exposure to the
     very high levels of radiation. Remember, many were exposed to levels
     which we now would post as DANGER - Very High Radiation.

     I believe that there is much evidence that many are suffering from the
     effects of Chernobyl. I don't believe that minimizing the effects is
     good for our industry. Chernobyl was a "bad" thing. What the industry
     needs to be doing is talking about HOW and WHY this won't happen under
     our system. That is what the public needs to know. They don't want to
     hear about another debate as to Chernobyl was bad but the data isn't
     any good.

     Another issue we need to be concerned about is that the "containment"
     built around the crippled reactor is beginning to fall apart. That
     means another unleashing of significant airborne materials to the
     atmosphere. Are we going to debate the effects of what might still be
     inside, the levels of radioactivity? I believe there could be serious
     consequences if the structure caves in. I think there can be
     additional serious medical outfall form that.

     All of this is opinion. Facts are what is needed. Unfortunately, one's
     facts are another's hypothesis. I am afraid that this will be debated
     for eternity. This is not your "typical" LNT" theory. This is "real"
     exposure, and should be treated as such, for much can be learned from
     the medical data correlated to the estimated exposures these
     individuals were exposed to.

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics
     Florida Power and Light Company

     (407) 694-4219 office
     (407) 694-3706 Fax

     Homepage:  http://www.lookup.com/homepages/54398/home.html

     Disclaimer: All expressed opinions are mine alone.