Re: ? RCM or RSO Pre-requisites

At 01:50 AM 23/4/96 -0500, you wrote:

>What level of Health Physics experience or education is
>considered reasonable of an RSO (Rad Safety Officer)
>or RCM (Rad Con Manager)?

It depends on what the organisation employing the RSO does. For
organisations who's use of RS or IA is very limited, successful completion
of a week long RSO course which includes practical exercises and a year or
so experience using the apparatus would be fine. Examples would be where the
licence authorises bore hole logging or the use of soil density and moisture
gauges. For hospitals here in Oz, the RSO is generally a medical physicist
with tertiary quals in physics/medical physics who may or may not have
completed a short course in radiation safety. I believe this to be appropriate.

RSOs for universities or research institutions where the scope of RS use is
limited only by the imagination of the academics should however have a
minimum of a degree in physics/health physics and 5 years relevant
experience or a degree in Occ Hygiene, training in radiation safety in a
short course and similar experience. Of course there are exception to the
rule (like me!!).

>Although helpful for exchanging ideas, I'd like to think
>that subscriptions to listservers or browsing relevant
>web pages in no way serve to qualify one for these positions.

Agreed

  Alex Zapantis
  Radiation Safety Officer
  Queensland University of Technology
  Acting Manager
  Health & Safety Section
  Locked Bag No.2                    Ph     : 61 7 3864 3566
  Red Hill Qld 4059                    fax     : 61 7 3864 3993
  AUSTRALIA                           Email  : a.zapantis@qut.edu.au

       "If I could remember the names of all those particles
        I would have become a botanist."
                                                            Enrico Fermi