Re: Appropriate disposal strategies, Ra, Pu-Be

At 09:07 AM 4/25/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Colleagues,
>
>I have been tasked with developing a disposal/transfer plan for our
>(unused) rad materials, specifically:
>
>	Radium, 5 mg
>	Pu-Be (neutron howitzer, NUMEC-B) 2 Ci, 32 gms
>
>Is there any possibility to transfer to an interested licensed party, or
>are these materials considered albatrosses?
>
>Disposal, costly I presume, is our second option.  Any suggestions on gov't
>agencies who can assist us?  Can anyone suggest a point of contact at the
>DOE or Los Alamos?  Are there other disposal strategies to consider?
>
>Your suggestions are most welcome.
>
>I am new to this list; if this thread has gone around before, please
>respond personally.   Thanks!
>
>-Jerry
>Jerry Clark                                         /\
>Chemical Hygiene Officer                           /| \
>                                                  / |  \
>SC-117, Springfield Rd.                          /  |   \
>Le Moyne College                                /   |    \
>Syracuse, NY 13214                             /    |_____\
>                                           ___/_____|_________
>Ph#:  (315) 445-4536                       \__________________]
>Fax:  (315) 445-4540                  ~~~~~   "Toucan Tango"   ~~~~~~~
>             "The prudent see danger and take refuge,
>              but the simple keep going and suffer for it." Prov. 28:12

Jerry,

If the above is in the form of Sealed Source(s) then you might try the
Conference of Radiation Control Program Directors (CRCPD). The point of
contact is Terry Devine, Ph.D. His telephone number is 502-227-4543.

* Robert N. Young                                  *
* TN - Division of Radiological Health   *
* 3rd Floor, L & C Annex                        *
* 401 Church Street                                *
* Nashville, TN 37243-1532                   *
* (615) 532-0364                                     *
* (615) 532-0385 Main FAX                    *
* (615) 532-7938 Alt. FAX                       *