Subject: RE: Re[2]: MONITORING UNIVERSITY HEALTH
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at Internet-Mail
Date:    4/30/96 4:34 PM

Sandy Perle wrote:

I will maintain my opinion based on observance of many law suits being
brought for doses that are well below regulatory as well as "monitoring not
required" thresholds.
___________

Sandy:

I'm curious. What kind of exposures are you accustomed to seeing on a
regular basis? In the type of research conducted at UW (using millicurie
amounts of P-32 or I-125) it is very rare if anyone's badge registers above
10 mrem in a month. In the last ten years the most anyone has gotten in a
year was 300 mrem. (We're talking about background levels here.) Under those
circumstances I find it hard to believe anyone would even attempt a lawsuit,
let alone have even a remote chance of being  successful.

If Sandy or anyone out there can site specific lawsuits which were the
result of  low-level exposures I will give the information to our risk
manager.

Jim Herrold, RSO
University of Wyoming
herrold@uwyo.edu