Re: Magnetic Field Surveys

On Wed, 1 May 1996 11:27:07 -0400 Christopher M. Meyer
wrote:

> We are still in the midst of just such a problem.  The DC
fields, while
> within the acceptable range in some adjacent offices, did
affect computer
> monitors.  By extension, the people in those offices
assumed that if the
> fields can affect their monitors, there is no telling what
damage it is
> doing to their long-term health.

At the University of Toronto, we had a similar problem with
computer monitors being affected but the cause was not an
NMR unit. There was a perceptible shift in color when the
monitors were moved closer to the wall and the people in the
area were concerned about exposure.  It took a while to
track down the cause but finally determined that it was
magnetized rebar in the concrete walls!  As far as I know,
there has been no attempt to remove the rebar.  Now if it
had been the slightest bit radioactive........

Regards,
Peter J. Fundarek
University of Toronto
CANADA