Re: Magnetic Field Surveys

> Subject: Re: Magnetic Field Surveys
>
> Bernard L Cohen wrote:
>
> >	There may be a confusion here between AC and DC magnetic
> >	fields.
>
> You are correct that these are DC fields...
>
> However, the problem is that "the public" does not make the
> distinction between AC and DC magnetic fields.

That's my experience also.  Note that "the public" also does not know the
difference between 60-Hz and RF.  The use of the generic "EMF" by the media
and even some science journals does not help.

> By extension, the people in those
> offices assumed that if the fields can affect their monitors, there is
> no telling what damage it is doing to their long-term health.
> Radiation Safety was unable to allay their fears.

I'd suggest that you demonstrate to the users that even the Earth field
affects a computer monitor.  When you subject a large screen color monitor to
a static field of as little as 50 microT (500 mG) you get distortions,
particularly color distortions at the corners.  The Earth field doesn't cause
such distortions because the monitor compensates.  Turn the monitor on its
side, so that the compensation is wrong, and you will usually (always?) see
the same distortion. [I don't know how the Radius Pivot monitor solved this].

You can also get great distortions with a refrigerator magnet.

We found that these demonstrations solved the problem.

John Moulder (jmoulder@its.mcw.edu)
Maintainer:  Powerlines & Cancer FAQs,
             Static EM Fields and Cancer FAQs
USENET: sci.med.physics, sci.answers, news.answers.
ftp://ftp.mcw.edu/pub/emf-and-cancer
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-group/sci.answers
http://www.cs.ruu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/powerlines-cancer-FAQ
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet