Q: "Tandetron" accelerator and regs

From: shand

          Hi Melissa:

                   We have a "Pelletron" 1.7 Mev accelerator here at
          UMCP.  We are also an agreement state.  Specific authorized
          use at this time (in house under our license) is for hydrogen
          and helium ions as well.  Our state regulations call for
          an interlock: "Each entrance into a target room ... shall be
          provided with a safety interlock that shuts down the machine
          under conditions of barrier penetration."  There are two
          entrances to the room, each is interlocked.  The console is
          located about 5 feet from the target area, in the same room.
          The initial run found a 1000 mr/hr area between the plasma
          source and the bending magnet.  This area we wrapped in lead
          and reduced to less than 30 mR/hr on contact.  At one meter
          from the tank the exposure rate was 0.05 mr/hr.  The highest
          reading on the tank was 0.2 mr/hr.

          A Dr. Correl at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland
          was very helpful with our understanding of the machine.  We
          visited a 2 Mev Pelletron there and observed the warning
          light operation, door interlocks testing and measurments
          while in operation.  Their console was also in the room
          and located about 20 feet from the target area.

          If you would like, I can fax a schematic of our machine, the
          exposure rates at various points, etc...

                                 Hope this was helpful

                                 steve hand
UMCP