Use of Bag Monitors for 'Free' Release

We are starting to evaluate the usefulness of a 'Bag Monitor' for
free-releasing 'clean' trash from radiologically controlled areas.
I am interested in what the RADSAFE view is on this subject, specifically:
 - is anyone using these types of monitors now?
 - is there a problem using such a system for free release
 - what types are available, who makes them, any advice
 - what administrative controls, limits or restrictions apply...

Larry Dauer
idauerl@ip3gate.usa.com

Radiological Engineering
IP3 NPP