Re: Use of Bag Monitors for 'Free' Release

     Larry,

     I'm involved in evaluating, calibrating, and operating instruments for
     free-release of material at Seabrook Station in New Hampshire.  We
     have been using an NE Technology bag monitor as part of a
     green-is-clean program for evaluation of "clean" waste generated in
     our RCA.

     We had attempted to use the bag monitor as the primary instrument for
     free-release, but met with resistance from our Regional Inspector.
     While the bag monitor is much more effective than a frisker for
     locating small amounts of contamination, the problem was the MDA.  In
     a background of 25 uR/hr, the MDA is about 11,000 dpm (assuming our
     DAW isotopic mix).  Our inspector then argued that a 5,000 dpm smear
     located in the center of a bag would not be detected.  Even though a
     5000 dpm smear has a good chance of being missed during a direct frisk
     with a pancake GM tube, that's the industry standard, and that's what
     we rely on in our program.

     For trash, each bag gets a check with a uR meter (has to be less than
     25 uR/hr), then a check in the bag monitor (set to alarm at 15,000
     dpm), then hand-frisking every item in the bag with a frisker or NE
     CM-7, then shred the material, then count the bagged shredded material
     in the bag monitor again.

     While this may seem like overkill, it is acceptable by the Region I
     folks, so that's what we do.  Give me a call if you have any
     questions.

     Fred Straccia
     (603) 474-9521 X-3791
     (stracfp@naesco.com)