Re: Static Magnetic Field Gu

        Reply to:   RE>Static Magnetic Field Guidelines

More recent guidance can be found in International Commission on Non-Ionizing
Radiation Protection. "Guidelines on Limits of Exposure to Static Magnetic
Fields," Health Phys. 66, 100-106 (1994).  ICNIRP specifies:

o	A 2000 gauss time-weighted average exposure criterion,

o	30 gauss as where metallic implants and tools can become hazardous,

o	10 gauss as where credit card stripes can be erased, and

o	5 gauss as the pacemaker/electronic implant warning criterion.

The 600 gauss limit was developed by Tom Tenforde, now with PNL, and I.  I
actually calculated the number.  The background for the 600 gauss limit is
found in G. C. Miller. "Exposure Guidelines for Magnetic Fields," J. American
Industrial Hygiene Association, 48, 957-968 (1987).

LLNL now uses the ICNIRP limit of 2000 gauss and I have written to the Chair
of the Physical Agents TLV Committee advising them to adopt the 2000 gauss
limit.

If there are further questions, please contact me at:

Internet: gordon.miller@quickmail.llnl.gov

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, P. O. Box 808  (L-289), Livermore, CA
94551-0808

Phone (510) 423-8036
Fax (510) 423-1086