Re: Air Crew Rad Workers

     While it is a fact that some crews might be exposed to enough
     radiation exposure over a year due to a lot of flight time, there is
     no justification to require monitoring the individual. There is no
     Licensee which rules out the NRC. Other than restricting flight time
     there is no reasonable method to reduce their time in flight, which is
     already reduced by FAA requirements for other reasons. You're NOT
     going to shield the plane and they're not going to wear protective
     shielding either. As far as monitoring, if it were required, who is
     going to be responsible for maintaining the dosimetry records? Who is
     going to regulate it (as stated, there are many jurisdictions that are
     involved). I for one would hope that the FAA act upon the many
     recommendations they already have on their plate, and implement them,
     such as upgraded flight air traffic control computer systems that
     provide a better reliability factor, better and more frequent
     inspections of the equipment that is in the air where these
     individuals are exposed, installed wind shear equipment, more frequent
     flight simulator training, implement the same safety requirements for
     all aircraft that fly passengers, be they foreign or smaller US
     airlines. In my opinion these are examples where the health and safety
     of the crew, as well as the flying public, would be better served than
     trying to maintain records of exposure, that we all agree is "most
     likely" lower than monitoring required for radiation workers who are
     exposed from activities that are "licensed", which flight crew
     exposure is not.

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics
     Florida Power and Light Company