Re: Use of unsealed thorium

I should have said that probably the best unknown use of Th, for the average
consumer, is as mantles for (Coleman) gas lanterns. I've used these, in the
plastic envelopes in which they're sold, as check sources for alpha
scintillometers. They don't come any cheaper, or more rugged, and there are
no licensing headaches.
Anyone, of course, can buy one in any Army/Navy or camping store, take it
home, and, more than likely, burn it down inside their tent. Here note that
the inhalation ALI for Th-232 (Class Y) is 0.003 uCi, where that for Pu-239,
which gets all of the press, is 0.02! Go figure.