Re: THORIUM MANTLES

At 04:54 PM 5/13/96 -0500, Chris Hogan wrote:
>I believe that the COLEMAN brand lantern mantles no longer contain thorium.
>I bought several of them for demonstration purposes two years ago and
>discovered that they weren't hot.  Another brand that was imported from India
>did still contain thorium.

Jack Couch writes:
The Coleman Company recently discontinued their "green top"
thorium mantles and began marketing a Gold Top mantle The new
mantle contains (non-radioactive) yttrium instead of the thorium.
Thorium mantles can still be purchased at Sears and Target
stores under brand names "Century Primus" and "Greatland
Camping". I'm told mantles of foreign manufacture purchased
at surplus stores are likely thorium-based, as well.

If you can't find them, here are some addresses:

"Century Primus", Century Tool & Manufacturing Company,
P.O. Box 188, Cherry Valley, IL 61016.

"Greatland Camping", WICKS, P.O. Box 645, Taylors, SC 29687

Jack Couch
Bloomsburg University
jgcouc@planetx.bloomu.edu