Re: Skin Absorption and Protection

Tritium skin penetration depends on the chemical/molecular form. HTO has been
pretty well studied. tritium labelled DNA precursurs are fairly well
uunderstood but the ability of the tritium atom to 'hop' from one molecule to
another hasn't ever been addequately investigated that I've seen.  Just to cloud
 the issue a little, weigh the effects of the extreme heat stress imposed by
 level A PPE and the extensive increase in time required to perform work in
 level A, which would add greater exposure to gamma emitters in the area, and
 the huge amount of tritium that needs to be absorbed/inhaled/ingested to get
 a significant dose. I've run the numbers on a couple of projects we've done
 and Level A causes more problems than it solves, in the rad contamination
only sites.
luke McCormick c0etxlim@mrd42.mrd.usace.army.mil