Thorium mantles

The message could not be delivered to:

Addressee: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.ed.
Reason: Cannot parse; syntax error.

     Just to add my two cents worth... I buy a fair number of lantern
     mantles to replace those that my Boy Scout troop destroys on each
     campout.  The recent Colemans ("gold top" and green top) will no
     longer set my GM clicking - nor do they cause any interest on my NaI
     detector.  The current Century Primus brand still contains thorium.
     The most recent Primus brand even had a statement on the package that
     the mantles contained small quantities of radioactive material.  It's
     probably been three years since I last bought a radioactive Coleman
     brand mantle.

     I did (and do) an occasional public demonstration of changing a mantle
     and then surveying my hands.  If I'm using a thorium mantle I have
     never failed to find contamination.  I then proceed to point out how
     easily it washes off (and down the sink or onto the campground).  The
     next step is to point out that limits on intake of Thorium oxide are
     substantially lower than Pu - in other words the hazard from the same
     level of contamination is greater for Th.  Finally I point out that if
     I received this level of contamination in my workplace (a DOE national
     lab), I would have a reportable occurrence with lots of paperwork
     reports to fill out and explain what I was going to do to prevent if
     from happening again.  I then ask why the more hazardous thorium is
     readily available without controls for the general public, yet the
     public and press gets so excited over Pu.  It's usually a pretty
     effective demonstration.

     Gene Carbaugh
     eh_carbaugh@pnl.gov