Re: Activation Products

>Hi Radsafers,
>
>Any guesses on what the parent nuclide is for Br-82 found in electronic
PC
>boards which have been exposed to high energy (GeV) photons/neutrons?
>understand IC chips are doped with selenium and arsenic.  These are
"close
>by" on the chart of the nuclides.  What would the most likely
interaction
>be?  Other accelerator labs seen this ?
>
>Thanks in advance.......disclaimer....blah, blah.....
>Keith Welch
>Continuous Electron Beam Accelerator Facility
>Newport News VA
>welch@cebaf.gov

I have heard that bromine is used as a fire-retardant (FR4 is the board
material) when pc-boards are manufactured. Br-81 might undergo (n,
gamma) to Br-81.

I hope this is useful. Disclaimers, however.

Reg
*                                                   *
*    Reginald M. Ronningen, Ph.D.                   *
*    Staff Physicist/Senior Liaison Physicist       *
*    National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory  *
*    Michigan State University                      *
*    South Shaw Lane                                *
*    East Lansing, MI 48824-1321 USA                *
*    Internet:Ronningen@nscl.msu.edu                *
*    Telephone: (517) 333-6378	 	            *
*    Fax: (517) 353-5967                            *