Decommissioning

To All Fellow Radsafers:
I have a question regarding decommissioning. When does a decommissioning
plan have to be filed with the NRC?
At Ohio State University as with other universities, we are constantly
renovating and/or tearing down buildings that have had previous use of
radioactive materials. Our current practice at OSU is to perform a complete
survey of the laboratories, hoods, plumbing, ductwork, etc. to ensure no
contamination. All records of these surveys are kept by our office. To be
quite honest I am confused. I understand the NRC is the midst of revising
the decommissioning regulations. I would appreciate  any advice regarding this.
My thought is if a license is terminated, then a decommissioning plan is
needed. Ohio State University as with other universities possesses a broad
scope license, which will never be terminated.

Bob Peterson
peterson.179@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu