Re: Decommissioning

Definitive answers to questions of this sort are best obtained by consulting
your regional NRC office. You're in Region III, I think, so you might try
calling RAM Licensing at 708- 829-9500.
The spirit of the phrase "license termination" refers, I'm sure, not to the
ultimate closure of your entire broad-scope, but to the parts of it of
interest. I'm not current on the NRC's regs, but in this Agreement State of
Washington, if you have, say, research laboratories in a building at 1000
Anywhere Street, and you are going vacate those laboratories, and convert
them into office space, lease them to a third party, demolish them, or
whatever and you want therefore to remove the authorizing line item from your
license, then you must file and execute a decommissioning plan, including
documentation. We have to do this no later than a month before leaving the
property.
Even if it were not a regulatory requirement, CYA from a risk management
perspective would argue for executing a well-documented decommissioning plan.