Re: RE Stress Test

     ICRP-30 says that 3% of thallium is retained in the kidneys while 97%
     is uniformly distributed throughout all other organs and tissues.
     When referring to uniform distribution, the ICRP assumes that
     radionuclides are retained in organs or tissues with amounts
     proportional to the mass of the particular organ or tissue.  Since the
     kidneys weigh 310g and the total body is 70kg (Reference Man), the
     kidneys would contain 0.44% of the thallium if they were included in
     the uniform distribution.  Since 3% of thallium is retained in the
     kidney, the ICRP is assuming that thallium is relatively
     _concentrated_ there.

     As far as inferring a major excretion pathway, perhaps one could infer
     that urine is the main pathway due to the above argument and the high
     solubility described in ICRP-30.  Nureg/CR-4884 which has fu and ff
     values for some elements does not include those for thallium.

     However, to contradict myself, ICRP-23 does describe the daily balance
     of thallium.  The intake pathways and amounts are 1.5 ug and 0.05 ug
     from food/fluids and airborne respectively (I wonder where airborne
     thallium comes from).  The losses are 0.5 ug and 1.0 ug through urine
     and feces respectively.  Since the f1 for thallium is 1, all thorium
     deposited in the lung and stomach would find its way into the transfer
     compartment, and from there to the other organs and tissues.
     Therefore, the excretion values would imply that approximately 1/3 of
     an uptake of thallium is excreted via urine and the rest via feces
     (with trace excretion by hair, sweat and milk).

     This is probably overkill, but I hope it's interesting.

     Gus Potter
     Sandia National Laboratories
     CAPOTTE@sandia.gov
     (505) 844-2750