Tritium and the navy

     To all, I was not "in" the navy technically.  I started this industry
     in 1970 at a civilian Naval shipyard providing health physics
     (radiation protection) coverage for overhaul and refueling of fast
     attack nuclear submarines.  So, I am not under a "mindset" of the navy
     but learned HP/RP their way.

     Before I start in on what I came here to say, let me say something
     about tritium and neutron dose.

     Tritium is not considered much of a problem in a shipyard, when you
     consider the gamma exposure due to Co60 and Cs137.  Therefore, we did
     not need to monitor for it.  Under 99+% of all jobs performed,
     including refueling, the systems remained closed, did not leak, did
     not contaminate, etc.  Very unlike todays commercial nuclear plants.

     Neutrons, did several start-up surveys in tunnel, ULAMS and LLAMS and
     forward near ELT "kitchen". (navy submariners know where I am talking
     about-part of the sub).  Never saw neutron doses outside of these
     areas get much above 2-3 mRem/hr contact at 100% reactor power with
     the bulkheads using a BF3 neutron survey meter - AN/PDR-70 Snoopy.  As
     no body and I mean nobody ever enters a sub reactor compartment when
     the reactor is cooking away, no neutron dose to measure, for the most
     part.

     Now, about HP/RP training, navy controls and so forth.  I worked at
     that yard for over five years.  I participated in more than 11
     refuelings and overhauls.  In that time, I saw with my own eyes, one
     personnel contamination incident, and helped clean up about five more
     (four all occurring at the same time when a "cleaner" patted down the
     reactor seals following removal of the reactor head - if you do not
     know, the naval reactors do not bolt their reactor head to the vessel,
     it seals in another way altogether).

     Following the shipyard I went into commercial nuclear starting at
     Brown's Ferry about 5 days after the fire - anybody out there old
     enough to remember the fire at BFNP?.  Been at a lot of power plants
     since from Southern California to Connecticut Yankee (uhhhh wait, also
     worked a quick job at Boston).  In the remaining 20+ years of
     commercial nuclear power, I have seen more areas contaminated through
     neglect, sloppy work practices, don't give a damn-somebody else will
     decon after I'm done, and so forth to make poor Hymie roll over in his
     grave.  What I'm saying is - in too many words, I know - the navy
     nuclear program was an exemplary place to start, whether as civilian
     under naval training or on board the boats as ELT.  If all the HPs I
     have met in 26 or 27 years had Navy training, and if their training
     missions were carried out (e.g., protect the worker, protect the
     environment, protect the vessel) then commercial nuclear power would
     not be in such a pickle, with NIMBY's protesting and getting plants
     shutdown before they even start up, or having good units put out of
     commission before their life expectancy is up.

     My son is now leaving for sub school (he is in - not a civie) and I am
     proud.  I hope he becomes an ELT.  I am sure he won't. Head is set on
     being a navy diver - but whatever he chooses, he is sure going to get
     a head start on anyone else of his generation who thinks that just
     getting the old BS makes then hot stuff!

     Ronald_goodwin@health.ohio.gov
     Senior Health Physicist
     Nuclear Material Safety