Sandblasting Grit -Reply

Mark:

One other possibility is that the abrasive material is zircon or some
compound of zirconium. This stuff can be elevated in uranium and
thorium and it does have applications as an abrasive e.g. in grinding
wheels, dental abrasives etc.  There used to be a plaque fighting gum
called Check-up gum that used zirconium silicate as the abrasive. The
gum contained on the order of 7 pCi/g of uranium.

Seems to me that there was some recent publication dealing with the
zirconium business and the associated radioactive materials but I'm at a
loss as to where it appeared. Sorry.

Off-topic but related: a local plant had a minor problem with a zirconium
material used as insulation in high temperature applications. If I remember
right it was called zirconia and contained something like 100 pCi/g
uranium.

Best wishes

Paul Frame
Professional Training Programs