From: Brian Sult <brian@dwx.com>
To: bbusby@umich.edu
Subject: electronic radon monitor systems

Does any company offer a Continuous Radon Monitor or electronic radon
monitor systems, that is EPA approved? If so please email brian@dwx.com.

Thanks
-Brian
E-mail: brian@dwx.com

-------------NewsClip&paste-------------------------------------

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla (Reuter) - About 100 people gathered
 Sunday at the gates of Cape Canaveral Air Station in Florida in
 a peaceful protest against NASA's plans to launch a
 nuclear-powered space probe to the planet Saturn.
 	 The protesters said the Cassini probe would scatter
 plutonium over a wide area of Florida and kill thousands of
 people if its rocket exploded during launch. They said millions
 could be effected worldwide if the probe plunged into the
 atmosphere when it passes close to the Earth during its
 seven-year voyage to Saturn.
 	 An environmental impact study released by NASA in 1994 put
 the risk of the probe hitting Earth during its fly past in 1999
 as 1 in 1.3 million and said there was a 1 in 900 chance of
 radioactive release during launch.
 	 ``They just don't think it's going to happen and I think a
 scientific fraud is being perpetuated,'' said one of the
 protesters, Michio Kaku, a professor of nuclear physics at the
 City University of New York. ``They have cooked the numbers.''
 	 Cassini is powered by three radioisotope thermoelectric
 generators, which contain a total of 73 pounds of
 non-weapons-grade plutonium. The cylindrical devices produce
 electricity from heat generated by the natural decay of the
 radioactive element.
 	 ``We will all be there with our families at the launch,''
 said Richard Spehalski, Cassini program manager at NASA's Jet
 Propulsion Laboratory in California. ``I wouldn't be involved
 with the project if I didn't think it was safe.''
 	 The protesters complained NASA has not given enough
 consideration to using alternative power sources, but the space
 agency said solar cells capable of powering the probe at Saturn,
 which is 888 million miles from the sun, do not exist.
 	 The $3.4 billion Cassini spacecraft is scheduled for launch
 from Cape Canaveral in October 1997 atop a Titan 4, the most
 powerful U.S. unmanned rocket. It is due to arrive at the ringed
 planet in July 2004.
 	 Cassini will orbit Saturn sending back data and pictures for
 about four years. It will release a small probe, built by the
 European Space Agency, to descend into the atmosphere of
 Saturn's largest moon, Titan.