Re: Effective Dose Equivalent

Dear Al,

You may be mixing apples and oranges.

My understanding of the dose limits is:

1)  Some dose effects are statistical in nature.

2)  Some dose effects are deterministic in nature (i.e., if you get a certain
dose, you can be assured there will be a related effect).

The "Equivalent" dose is assumed to hold for statistical effects; i.e., the
"chance" of health effect is equivalent for 4 REM to the gonads as for 1 REM to
the "whole body."  It allows a (admittedly sloppy, hypothetical) equivalence
between doses.

If, however, one were to expose an organ to a point where an effect would be
expected with some certainty, the all bets are off and the equivalency no
longer holds.  Your examples appear to clearly enter this zone as you are
dealing with doses of several hundred REM.  As these are clearly deterministic
doses, then the equivalency no longer applies and one has to assess the dose on
its individual biological effect.

ICRP 30, paragraph 2.2 clearly limits the "weighting correction" to stochastic
effects (statistical effects).  Non-stochastic effects are dealt with
differently, using a "threshold" effect limit (50 REM).

Jim Barnes, CHP
RSO
Rocketdyne Division, Rockwell Aerospace