Re: Effective Dose Equivalent

     I think there are some relevant points here, so I'll throw my two
     cents in.

     First of all, there is a TDE limit of 50 rem in 10CFR835.202(a)(2).
     This involves adding the deep dose to the CDE to the particular organ
     or tissue.  This limit is probably more relevant in the scenarios you
     are discussing.  I see your conceptual problem with equating the
     localized dose with a whole-body dose and don't have an explanation
     for it.

     Second of all, I believe that at the low levels we are used to dealing
     with, the dose equivalent concepts are more useful for score keeping
     in relation to the appropriate limits that have been set, i.e., 5 rem
     TEDE, 50 rem TDE, rather than an evaluation of actual risk.  This is
     what keeps us (dosimetrists especially) employed.  I do believe that
     at larger TEDE values, i.e., 10-100 rem, the dose equivalent vs. risk
     argument is valid. (fire away!)

     The concept of dose equivalent definitely breaks down when large acute
     intakes/exposures happen.  The quality factor is more useful in
     describing the risk of long-term radiation induced effects such as
     cancer, cataracts, etc..  For exposures on the order of hundreds of
     rads (1 Gy or more), the more imminent risks are of acute radiation
     sickness.  Therefore, at these levels, the equivalent dose concept is
     not important as compared to the absorbed dose concept.

     Gus Potter
     Sandia National Laboratories
     CAPOTTE@sandia.gov
     (505) 844-2750

     The opinions expressed here are solely to incite more delightful chatter on
     the LNT topic :)