Re: Effective Dose Equivalent

     The term Total Effective Dose Equivalent refers to the dose that the
     "whole body" would receive when considering the complement from the
     internal contribution. While the example of the testicle and the DDE
     was hypothetical, it is in fact not very probable that this event
     could happen, so in reality, the basis appears to be valid. Again this
     assumes that the purpose of the TEDE is the dose to the entire whole
     body. As already mentioned, there are also limits for CEDE, CDE and
     TODE. I believe that these are adequate. What I have a problem with is
     that 10 CFR 20 allows one NOT to document a CDE unless the CEDE
     exceeds 1 rem. The current regulations allow dose to be ignored below
     10% for all categories. So what does one's NRC Form 4 really mean when
     this is allowed? The lifetime dose "may" or "may not" be the true
     estimate of one's dose.

     Sandy Perle
     sandy_perle@email.fpl.com