Re: Calibration of x-ray equipment.

At 15:31 6/4/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Radsafers:
>
>I am looking for information on the training requirements and board
>certification of individuals who calibrate x-ray equipment. What education
>and experience is necessary? Does it vary from state to state?  In Wisconsin,
>I believe that it is not a prerequisite to have a M.S. in Medical Physics
>until the year 1997.  Any information or referrals to other sources is much
>appreciated.
>
>Thank you.
>-----
>KarlaVgt@aol.com

term than calibrate.  The Medical Health Physicist and the Medical Physicist
that perform evaluations of X-ray equipment performance do NOT calibrate the
equipment.  They EVALUATE equipment performance and provide advice and
guidance on the department's quality control program.

        The training should include:

                As a minimum a BA/BS in a physical science (e.g. physics,
radiation physics, medical physics, health physics or related field) with
course work in Medical Physics and Radiation Safety.  The extent of that
course work should provide a sound scientific basis for the type of
evaluation being done -- e.g. radiation safety survey,  machine performance
evaluation, image quality evaluation, QA/QC program evaluation.

                Additionally, the person should have mentored clinical
training in medical physics or medical health physics.  X-ray machine
surveys should not be performed by a person that does not have both the
formal scientific training and clinical experience needed to provide a
professional consultation to the client.

                My personal preference is that the person providing the
evaluation hold a graduate degree in Medical Physics or Health Physics (with
an emphasis in Medical Health Physics) with mentored clinical training.

                WRT Board Certification.  There are four board certification
examinations (given by two different examining bodies) which test a person's
knowledge in Diagnostic Radiological Physics or Medical Health Physics.

                        American Board of Radiology examinations in
Radiological Physics or Diagnostic Radiological Physics

                or

                        American Board of Medical Physics examinations in
Diagnostic Medical Physics or Medical Health Physics.

                The ABHP examination does not test their candidates to the
level required to demonstrate comptency in Medical Physics or Medical Health
Physics.  The first part of the ABHP examination is similar to the first
part of both the ABR and ABMP examinations.  The second portions of all
three examinations are which differentiate the ABHP, ABR and ABMP
examinations from one another.  ABR and ABMP also have an oral examination
which the ABHP does not have.

                I am sure that my comments will spark some degree of
backlash from those who feel I have slighted them.  I hope that we can
generate some discussion about what is required for a professional to
provide the requisite level of support to a person doing radiographic
imaging.  "CALIBRATIONS" don't amount to much ... that is a clinical
engineer's job.  Diagnostic Image Quality and ensuring that such image
quality is maintained is the role of the Medical Physicist and Medical
Health Physicist.

CAPT Jerry A. Thomas,  MSC, USN
Chief Radiological Physics
Department of Radiology/Nuclear Medicine
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
4301 Jones Bridge Road
Bethesda, MD  20814-4799

mailto:thomas@bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil
Phone:   (301) 295-3246