Re: ? lead hazard

To Robert et al.,

This operations (stacking lead bricks), particularly if in
a closed in/relatively dead air space could be a problem.

As others have noted, it depends on the amount of surface
oxidation that has occurred on the bricks.  If they were
stored outside exposed to the weather, consider them all
oxidized!

29CFR1910 indicates that when workplace monitoring exceeds
certain levels (it would have been best to have had your
friendly neighborhood IH there at the time to do air
monitoring) the workers may need to go on the maximally
exposed employee monitoring list.  This includes having
a blood test made on a periodic basis for workers routinely
performing these types of operations.

Without respirator use (and doing mechanical processes
including drilling), I would RECOMMEND seeing your occupational
health folks and look for them to at least perform a baseline
blood sample for lead assay.  I would talk to the IHs too to
remind them that this type of work activity has taken place.
Prospective workplace monitoring and job preparation is
always better than retrospective corrective actions!

I have known of elevated levels in some circumstances after
building relatively small lead caves for Ge detectors!

S.,

MikeG.

At 10:09 AM 6/6/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Radsafers,
>
>I recently built a Hot Cell, which contains around 6-700 count 20-30
>pound interlocking lead bricks.  The bricks were stored outside, and some
>had a white oxide coat on them.  Gloves were worn most of the time while
>handling - leather work gloves, so my hands would not be sore.  Most lead
>cleaning (to find the numbers) was done outside, with a rag and a dry
>brush.  Some drilling was done (pilot holes for sheet rock screws)
>Respirators and dust masks were never worn.  ...

Michael P. Grissom
Special Assistant, SLAC
mikeg@slac.stanford.edu
Phone:  (415) 926-2346