Subject: Flash X-rays
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at smtpgw1
Date:    6/11/96 12:17 PM

I received a request for information about radiation protection requirements
for use with 'flash' x-rays. The gentleman who called said this would use
x-ray plses in the MeV range with a duration of less than a microsec per
pulse but with enough intensity to produce an exposure of normal density. My
reaction was that the requirements would depend on the total radiation
exposure (or workload) similar to a normal x-ray device. He said he
remembered vaguely from some previous work that such short pulses somehow
reduced the need for shielding, perhaps by producing less damage in the cell.

Does anyone have any experience with flash x-rays or know of any special
protection requirements?

Thank you for your help.

Ken

Ken Douglass, Ph.D.
Interim Radiation Safety Officer
West Virginia University Hospitals, Inc.
West Virginia University
P.O.Box 8150
Morgantown WV 26506
kendoug@wvnvm.wvnet.edu