Re: Flash X-rays

>I received a request for information about radiation protection requirements
>for use with 'flash' x-rays. The gentleman who called said this would use
>x-ray plses in the MeV range with a duration of less than a microsec per
>pulse but with enough intensity to produce an exposure of normal density. My
>reaction was that the requirements would depend on the total radiation
>exposure (or workload) similar to a normal x-ray device. He said he
>remembered vaguely from some previous work that such short pulses somehow
>reduced the need for shielding, perhaps by producing less damage in the cell.
>
>Does anyone have any experience with flash x-rays or know of any special
>protection requirements?

I agree with your reaction.  The relevant quantity is the integrated dose.

The integrated dose may be difficult to measure.  A LANL expert on this is
David W Lee, internet address lee_david_w@lanl.gov, who says: "Integrating
instruments are better under these short x-ray pulse duration
circumstances, such an a Radcal (MDH) Model 9015 with 0.6 cc Baldwin-Farmer
chamber with appropriate build-up cap. TLD's can also be used in this way
as integrating instruments."

Mike McNaughton, mcnaught@lanl.gov

Stay safe, mike (mcnaught@LANL.GOV)