Lightning detectors

I'm am looking for information regarding the radiological make-up of
lightning detectors.  We have one labeled as containing tritium in a tritide
form but we were able to get significant counts off of it with a pancake
probe, both through the window and through the metal with the probe
reversed.  I know that some detectors were manufactured with thorium but we
don't have any markings indicating this.  Does anyone know if the tritium
may be bound up in thorium?  Any help would be appreciated.

Kim Merritt
Sandia Laboratories
kdmerri@sandia.gov

My opinions represent my ignorance of lightning detectors.