Re: Crosspost from: OEM: cataract and radiation

Dear Radsafers:
     Cataract incidence seems to be increased in those exposed to
radiation in Hiroshima and Nagasaki,(Chosi K, Takaku I, Mishima H. et al.
"Ophthalmological Changes related to radiation exposures and age in the
Adult Health Study sample" RERF TR 8-82, 1982, cited in Shigematsu et al
"Effects of A-Bomb Radiation on the Human Body"	Harwood Academic
Publishers, 1995.
     Among Chernobyl clean-up workers, I believe that posterior opacities
have been found.  A big study is under way, on which my colleague, Peter
N. Vitte, Institute of Occupational Health, Academy of Medical Sciences,
Kiev, Ukraine is a participant, along with U.S. Ophthalmoogists.  You can
contact him at uacos@vitte-joh.kiev.ua.   John Goldsmith,
gjohn@bgumail.bgu.ac.il