Measurement of radioactivity of soil

I have an MSc student who wants to carry out a small project to
relate radon levels in soil (previously measured by another student)
to the uranium and thorium content of soil samples from a number of
sites in the UK.  In particular we want to investigate the dependence
of radioactivity in soil to soil particle size.  Our initial thoughts were to use
GeLi gamma spectrometry.  I would value some references to previous
studies and in particular some guidance on preparation of samples, calibration
methods and required counting times.
Dr Monty Charles, Reader in Radiation Physics
School of Physics & Space Research
University of Birmingham
Edgbaston
Birmingham B15 2TT