No Subject

        As one of Georgia Tech general radioactive materials laboratory
safety rules, we have the "Two-Person Rule", i.e., when working with
radioactive materials, never work alone.  Working alone being defined as the
performance of any work by an individual who is out of audio or visual range
of another individual for more than a few minutes at a time OR without
access to a telephone WITHIN the laboratory.

        Our Nuclear Safeguards Committee has been asked to review the rule
with the possibility of exempting sealed sources like GC/ECD detectors
containing Ni-63 sources.

        Does anyone know of any regulatory basis for such a "Two-Person
Rule"? Comment's on the use of such a rule, especially as it relates to
sealed sources, exemption limits, or enforcement experience would be
appreciated.

        Rod Ice
        404/894-3621
        E-mail:  rod.ice@nnrc.gatech.edu

Rod Ice
Neely Nuclear Research Cener, Georgia Tech
Phone 404-894-3621
FAX   404-853-9325
EMail rod.ice@nnrc.gatech.edu