RE:

Our Radiation Protection Division has a "two-person" rule (regulation) for
persons performing industrial radiography at temporary jobsites.  In fact,
the rule currently states that both individuals will be certified
radiographers, so that either is fully qualified to perform the duties of
"radiographer," as specified in the Louisiana Radiation Regulations.  Our
experience was that the un-qualified person was actually doing the work
while the qualified person was in the darkroom developing and reading film.
 Most of the excessive exposures were being racked-up by guess who?  Right,
the one who was NOT cranking out the source.  We are retreating from this
position a little to be more consistent with NRC and other states, but both
persons are to be fully trained.  We feel it offers sufficient additional
safety to require it, and we've had it in place since about 1988.

In an academic setting, since graduate students are considered "slave
labor," it shouldn't be too hard to put into place, and I recommend it
heartily.

Your view of working alone correspond in reverse to our definition of direct
supervision.

Exempting GC/ECD detectors from a two-person rule will probably not be a
problem as long as replacement and/or cleaning is NOT involved, and as long
as it does not violate a condition of your radioactive material license or
application.  When exchange is taking place, then you may want to have a
supervisor present (again, if allowed).

Bill Spell, Administrator
La. Radiation Protection Division
bills@deq.state.la.us

These views are my own and will certainly not be shared by all, but you
should get some worthy opinions.