Re:

The standards for the buddy system is generally held to those
instances whereby an individual (or public health and safety....)
would be at high risk if something happened to that person (through
accident or whatever).  Most states mandate 2 persons for Industrial
Radiography performed at field sites.  Research Reactors are also
required to have at least two persons present.  Some other operations
may have other occupational health risks (electricity, gasses,
etc....) that would also mandate 2 persons.

However, there is certainly no immenent health and safety concerns
related to use of ECD cells or the like and no need exists, for
radiation safety purposes, for 2 persons.

Wes

> Date:          Fri, 14 Jun 96 11:51:02 -0500
> From:          rod.ice@nnrc.gatech.edu (Rod Ice)
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>

>         As one of Georgia Tech general radioactive materials laboratory
> safety rules, we have the "Two-Person Rule", i.e., when working with
> radioactive materials, never work alone.  Working alone being defined as the
> performance of any work by an individual who is out of audio or visual range
> of another individual for more than a few minutes at a time OR without
> access to a telephone WITHIN the laboratory.
>
>         Our Nuclear Safeguards Committee has been asked to review the rule
> with the possibility of exempting sealed sources like GC/ECD detectors
> containing Ni-63 sources.
>
>         Does anyone know of any regulatory basis for such a "Two-Person
> Rule"? Comment's on the use of such a rule, especially as it relates to
> sealed sources, exemption limits, or enforcement experience would be
> appreciated.

Wesley M. Dunn, C.H.P.                     512-834-6688
Deputy Director, Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us