Re: Some questions on Pu

Bernie --

You've got to be kidding about the inhalation of plutonium!  Inhaled Pu is
highly radiotoxic, as has been shown in numerous animal experiments in which
lung cancer and at higher doses pneumonitis (fatal) was induced.  Recent
work by Sanders suggest a threshold of about 1 Gy for Pu induced lung
cancer.  As for ingestion, Pu is only poorly absorbed from the gut, and so
on a Bq for Bq basis, inhalation is a much greater risk.  Do I interpret
what you said correctly, viz that 200 microgram (around 13 microcuries)is an
acute toxic dose if inhaled?

The US Transuranium and Uranium Registirews have radiochemically analyzed
the lungs of Pu workers who died (not from Pu poisoning!) and who donated
their tissues.  Lung depositions in these cases have been significant and
measurable, albeit typically orders of magnitude less than 200 microgram.

Ron